Good writing is an essential part of good learning. Here are some basic writing rules to follow:
- Know your audience.
- Have a clear goal.
- Put key information at the top, important details next and minor details last.
- Write in short simple sentences (20 words max.). (Here’s a cheat sheet with the ideal writing parameters).
- Create content that is easy for your target audience to find.
- Use the active tone of voice.
- Use images and video if possible. This e-book describes how to use video and images most effectively.
- Always have your course reviewed before you publish it.
To give you a practical understanding of how these rules can be used while writing content, we created a short course, including examples of each rule. View the course here: